Sunday, August 24, 2008

Its official. I'm an elephant and will gestate for 22 months.

You know how snakes can detach their jaws to eat really big eggs or prey? Well, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what my hips are doing are doing right now and it KILLS. 

Anyways, it appears I can end my blog strike because there is an end in sight, although I'm not sure what that end will be (c-section or regular delivery). As I expected, I had NO progress at my appointment this morning. I'm proud to say I didn't cry (at first) when I heard this news and I also didn't cry when he stripped my membranes for the third and final time (OUCH). I saved all the crying for Clark and Booker when I got home... Mommy, sad? Yes, Booker, just a little bit. 

Since I am officially past my due date and doctors generally don't like VBAC candidates to go past 40 weeks, something has to be done. My doctor would like that something to be a c-section (either tomorrow or Wednesday) for a couple of reasons. Apparently I have a rather difficult and unusual cervix. Something is amiss, a "band" around it that is preventing me from dilating past 1 cm. I'm also measuring small which could be an indication that the baby isn't growing properly or my fluid is low. 

Although it was INCREDIBLY tempting to just schedule the c-section (I could hold my baby tomorrow!!!), I didn't feel like those were reasons enough to do so. I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit longer. Plus, I don't want to spend the rest of my life wondering what could have been if I had been a little more patient. 

In the meantime, I have an ultrasound this afternoon to check on the little guy. I'm nervous because I feel like they'll be looking for any little reason to cut him out. I also have an induction date scheduled for Tuesday, September 2nd. Yes, that is OVER A WEEK FROM NOW! AHHHHHHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Because my doctor is going out of town and because of Labor Day, that was the soonest available spot. Ideally, I'll go into spontaneous labor before then and if my detachable hips are any indication, I could be expelling this child anytime now. But I won't hold my breath. 

On a lighter note, my sister is driving down from Prescott this afternoon and staying the week. I can't tell you how happy I am to have the company and some form of distraction from everything. Booker is also brimming with excitement and keeps asking about RieRie coming. Hopefully we can find fun things to do that don't involve thinking about cervixes (cervices?) or uteruses (uteri?). 


1 comment:

Emily said...

Sheesh!! That baby boy of yours is just happy where he is, isn't he? Well, at least there is an end in sight! Hang in there, it'll all be over before you know it! let me know if I can do anything for you!