Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween and Birthday Love

Halloween is a great day to have your birthday. If you absolutely have to get older, I say do it on a day when everyone is hopped up on sugar and distracted by kids in cute costumes. It's fabulous.

Photobucket

When it comes to birthdays, I like to keep my expectations low. This year, my mom remembered to call me and we had a really nice conversation. I could have declared a birthday win right then and there, but there was so much more. Clark took the day off work, made arrangements for the kids to go somewhere, booked me a massage and met me in town for lunch. I felt like we were young and dating again. Why did we decide to have children?

Oh now I remember. So we can dress them up like this...

Photobucket

Photobucket

... and parade them around at our neighborhood block party. Our neighborhood rocks. A few emails later and we've got a super fun potluck dinner, some fireworks, a movie projection and all the candy you could dream of.

Photobucket

Ike looks rather sinister with that mustache. After watching me paint Booker's face, he insisted that Woody have his face painted too.
Photobucket

Photobucket
(I should show this entire series of photos. Ike is sitting in front of our neighbor, Cannen who is dressed as a zombie football player. Ike's eyes are wide with fear and glued to Cannen the whole time).

Once dark, we headed out trick-or-treating. Actually, we just went around the block once. That took about 45 minutes and earned the boys enough candy to last them a week. Did I mention how much our neighborhood rocks?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Asher was eggggggggg-zausted. But this tootsie roll "chew toy" kept him awake until we got home...

Photobucket

...where I forced my children to sing to me and watch me blow out a candle on a slice of pumpkin pecan cheesecake (which I did not share and may have finished off for breakfast this morning). PUMPKIN PECAN CHEESECAKE!!! It was two of my favorite types of pie in one slice. Heavenly.

Photobucket

Thanks to all who made my birthday feel so special! 

1 comment:

daveandlisa said...

I'm so glad that you had such an awesome birthday! Clark and I had planned for me to meet up with you for lunch at some point, but his plans all got pushed up and I had school so it didn't quite work out anymore. So all that means is we get to get together again and hang out another time! I still owe you birthday lunch!