Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Weekend in D.C.

I guess if there's one good thing about jet lag, it's midnight blogging. It's two a.m. and all three of us are wide awake. The boys are watching Fantastic Mr. Fox so I thought I'd get ahead on recording our travels.

Our few days in D.C. were fun even though we spent them without Clark. He had to work the entire time. I think we had one meal together on our first day there. Since I was on my own to face the crowds (it was the National Cherry Blossom Festival and the weather was nice, so the crowds were insane), we didn't do nearly as much as I wanted.

We went to the Natural History Museum, watched people fly kites on the Mall, visited the cherry trees at the tidal basin and saw the WW2 memorial. All that just about wore me out.

Photobucket The White House at 10 o'clock at night. It was about a block from our hotel.

Photobucket The boys on the Mall, admiring "the pencil."

Photobucket Cherry blossoms. Those are people crowded on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial and the streets were just as crowded. Everyone was gathering to see the cherry blossoms and later on, the fireworks.


Photobucket Booker wanted to take a picture. Not bad! This is what an exhausted, sweaty, "single" mom who's been pushing a double stroller around an unfamiliar city looks like. Frightening.

Photobucket
World War 2 Memorial.

Photobucket It just about killed me to walk right past the National Gallery and the Freer & Sackler Galleries without going in. Instead we spent an hour throwing pennies into the reflecting pool. What joy. That's what happens when you take a 3 year old and a 1 year old to our nation's capital- all they want to do it throw coins into water. Whatever makes them happy.

1 comment:

Layla said...

Your pictures are stunning! I've never been to D.C. and now I really want to go!