Saturday, April 10, 2010

Faluka Ride

On Thursday night we went on a faluka ride on the Nile. The weekend here is Friday/Saturday (with Friday being the holy day), so this was a fun start to our weekend. For 90 pounds ($17) you can go sailing on the Nile for an hour and half. We brought dinner with us and ate on the boat. I also brought a big bag of rocks from the garden for the boys to throw in the water. Smart move. If it hadn't been for those rocks, I'm sure one of those boys would have ended up going for a swim in the Nile.

Photobucket
Our faluka.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Apparently as part of his security detail, a police car follows my dad around wherever he goes. I didn't know this until I noticed this boat following our faluka. Land or sea, nothing stops them.

Photobucket
Another faluka. On the right, you can see the Cairo Tower.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Our captain manning the sails. I really love this photo.

Photobucket
Most of the nicer hotels are located right on the Nile.

Photobucket
Booker had a fun time chucking rocks, pretending he was a pirate and throwing half eaten vegetables to the "fish" in the water.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys are having a good time with the fam! Can we see pictured of your parents house? I'm intrigued.

Cherise said...

Cool pictures! I bet Clark is dying that he isn't with you guys! What a fun trip!

Amelia said...

These pictures are fantastic. PS Your mom is looking great!