Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy 1 Month!

Photobucket

Today marks Asher's one month birthday. Time sure flies when you're having fun... feeding, burping, rocking, changing, bathing and otherwise caring for a newborn. It seems like just yesterday that we brought him home and yet it also feels like he's been with us forever. It's hard to remember what life was like without him.

Since I was so terrible at recording some of these details with my other kids, here's a little run down of what Asher's been up to the first month of his life. Last week at his doctor's appointment, I learned that he's gained a pound since birth. He's in the 75th percentile for height, 50th for weight and only 25th for head size, which is weird because his head looks so huge to me. Speaking of heads, his pediatrician said that she has never seen a more beautifully round head. Well done, Asher!

People always want to know if you've got a "good" baby. Upon meeting your baby for the first time and seeing how disheveled and nasty and exhausted you look, they want to know if he's sleeping through the night yet. It's a dumb question, but everyone asks (including myself). While Asher might not be a one of those rare "good" babies who sleep through the night at two weeks, he's certainly no nightmare either.

He's definitely not sleeping through the night or any period of time longer than 4 hours, but at least he knows the difference between nighttime and daytime. He wakes up anywhere between 1-3 times a night to eat and usually likes to get up for the day bright and early around 6. A few nights ago we moved him into his own room because he spends a good 20 minutes after each feeding grunting and growling before falling back asleep. It was keeping us awake.

He has periods of fussiness during the day where nothing seems to console him. This might have something to do with the cherry coke zero that I insist on having everyday with lunch. I'm trying to negotiate with him on that one. Maybe once he stops waking up so often at night, I'll be able to give up my coke zero.

I'm just so pleased with how happy and healthy Asher has been. No NICU stay like Ike. No horrible diaper rash or eczema like Booker had. No projectile spitting up or major diaper blow outs. Other than being fussy every once in awhile, he's doing really well (knock on wood). And it seems like he's starting to settle into his "look," the one he'll have the rest of his life. Less scary newborn and more of just Asher.

As far as the transition from 2 to 3 kids goes, it's been hard but not quite as hard as I thought it would be. Of course, since Booker is still in school I have yet to take all three of them grocery shopping. I might change my story in a few weeks when summer starts. There have been times (usually in the car when Asher gets really quiet) when I am legitimately concerned that I've left one of them behind. It's only a fleeting feeling but it's unsettling. Getting three little bodies from point A to point B is harder than you think. I don't know how moms of 4+ do it.

I'm so glad Asher is here and a part of our family. He's such a joy. I love everything about him from his fuzzy little head down to his long little toes. I love seeing Booker and Ike interact with him. I'll never forget the hilariously tender moment when Ike looked down at Asher, patted his head and solemnly proclaimed, "She so fluffy."He is so fluffy and sweet and absolutely perfect. We love you Asher!

Photobucket

1 comment:

emilymhjohnson said...

Congratulations again Margaret! He's beautiful. There's nothing like that moment after you have a new baby when you realize you might actually be able to handle it after all. The second that occurred to me with Walt I started wanting a third baby. Because I'm insane. But I am very impressed with you and plan to take inspiration from you when the time comes. Asher is so lucky to have all of you!