Saturday, June 21, 2008

Killer Scorpions

In the past couple of weeks, we've found a total of 5 scorpions inside our house (one of which came within inches of my fat pregnant foot on its way to the refrigerator looking for a midnight snack). I'm not sure if its the time of year or just because we're moving and shifting things around in the house, but we seem to have a small scorpion problem. So last night I purchased a black light from Walmart and waited for Clark to get home from his Bar class- no way was I going to turn that light on without Clark in the house. 

You see, when you shine a black light on a scorpion it glows florescent. This was one of the coolest things I learned when I moved to Arizona. Clark assures me that this is common knowledge, but I beg to differ. Unless you grew up having to worry about scorpions, then you don't know that they glow in the dark with a black light. 

Anyways, Clark got home and we started in the backyard. Result: one scorpion. Well, one dead scorpion once we were done with it. Garage- one scorpion who got away by crawling into a crack. Shoot. Then we moved inside the house... and found NO scorpions. Hooray! Then we moved into the front yard and found a total of 7 scorpions! Big, fat, juicy, crispy scorpions. Our scorpion-smashing brick was pretty messy by now. 

We moved back inside the house and guess what we found sitting right smack in the middle of our most common walking path on our scorpion-colored carpet? That's right, a super pissed-off scorpion. I now have no doubt in my mind that scorpions communicate with each other or can at least sense when a scorpion massacre is taking place nearby. Scary. We had abandoned our brick by now, so this particular guy got the big flush. 

I couldn't go anywhere for the rest of the night without the black light. Which stinks because on average I pee approximately 8 times throughout the night, and as previously mentioned... I dig my midnight snacks. 

Thankfully, we didn't find anymore scorpions. Perhaps we'll go out "hunting" again tonight. It really is quite exhilarating- like bungee jumping but way cheaper. How's that for a fun Friday night date? Saving the world or rather, our house on Baltimore Street, one scorpion at a time. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww. I agree with you on the commonly known fact that scorpions glow under a black light. I had no idea. Cereal's my favorite midnight snack. What's yours?

Dan and Jan said...

Yikes! I had a recent experience: I was sitting at the computer desk and felt a tickle on top of my left foot so I used my right foot to brush the top of my left foot. Then I looked down to find a rolled up scorpion. Very creepy! Why did he want to crawl across my foot, why?

Hobbie said...

I think now is a perfect time to share one of my scorpian stories...one day, i was innocently folding laundry in our apt. (located on the 2nd story) As I was folding a towel, I noticed that somehow it had picked up a rolled up rubberband(wierd, i know) as I pulled it up right next to my face I realized that it was just a giant scorpian chillin out on my towel. I screamed for Adam at the top of my lungs, dropped the towel(and scorpian) and ran and jumped onto the middle of my bed, where I stayed for 10 min. until that evil creature was killed.(middle of the bed, is the safe zone because you can see all around you). Needless to say I was absolutley stoked when we moved from that horrible apt to this house....until I found out that this house is infested too....we got 2 blacklights from walmart for $7. what would I do without them?
Have you guys found another place in Tucson yet?

Emma said...

If i saw a scorpion i would scream my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KrumperKids said...

Scary; no other word for it. Move to Washington! OK, I know, too late for that decision.