Saturday, February 12, 2011

Part 1- January 28th, 2011

Photobucket
The drive home from church on Friday the 28th of January. The streets are lined with blue and green police trucks, used to haul people off.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Watching The Batchelor on the left and Al Jazeera on the right. Don't ask me why my parents have two TVs side by side. I suppose one is for AFN (Armed Forces Network) and the other is for local channels. I alternated between wanting any form of distraction and being unable to tear myself away from the news.

Photobucket
The 26th of July Bridge. I was mistaken in my earlier post, this is not the 6th of October Bridge. The Marriott is in the background. One of the reasons my dad wanted us to stay away from bridges was because demonstrators were trying to push police vehicles over the bridges. I'll never forget the images I saw on the news of police as they launched tear gas grenades from the Qasr el Nil Bridge over to the protesters on the 6th of October Bridge on this same night.

Photobucket
Washing tear gas out of their faces.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Pausing to pray.

Photobucket
The police before they were driven off the streets.

Photobucket
Many people were wearing face masks to avoid inhaling the tear gas.

Photobucket
This guy was really proud of his spot of blood. ;)
















I wasn't 100% comfortable filming this, but these guys grabbed me and asked me to film. Put it on YouTube, they said.


My first and hopefully last experience with a Molotov cocktail.

1 comment:

Layla said...

Those videos are amazing! I can't get over that you were actually brave enough to go out.